c|net's lengthy test of the 80GB Zune reports that Wi-Fi – among other factors – results in lackluster battery performance from the Microsoft MP3 player.
The Zune managed only 22.5 hours of battery life playing audio only with Wi-Fi switched off, a far cry from Microsoft's claim of 30 hours. With Wi-Fi on, that figure dropped to 18.5 hours. In order to eke out more battery life from a single charge, Microsoft also deleted a feature from the original Zune - the built-in audio equalizer.
By contrast, the 80GB iPod Classic lasted 45 hours in the same c|net test.
The review argues that Zune is now truly 'competitive' with iPod, and the biggest problem it faces is the stigma associated with Zune 1.0.
Analysis: Battery life is arguably one of a music/video player's most important attributes. After all, what point is there taking one on a long-haul flight if it doesn't go the distance, particularly with video playback? Constantly recharging is also a bug-bear. It's notable that when Apple's 3G and 4G iPods were behind many of their competitors on playing hours, Apple made a concerted effort to improve battery life, resulting in significant gains, particularly with the 5G/5.5G 80GB iPods.
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles