c|net's lengthy test of the 80GB Zune reports that Wi-Fi – among other factors – results in lackluster battery performance from the Microsoft MP3 player.
The Zune managed only 22.5 hours of battery life playing audio only with Wi-Fi switched off, a far cry from Microsoft's claim of 30 hours. With Wi-Fi on, that figure dropped to 18.5 hours. In order to eke out more battery life from a single charge, Microsoft also deleted a feature from the original Zune - the built-in audio equalizer.
By contrast, the 80GB iPod Classic lasted 45 hours in the same c|net test.
The review argues that Zune is now truly 'competitive' with iPod, and the biggest problem it faces is the stigma associated with Zune 1.0.
Analysis: Battery life is arguably one of a music/video player's most important attributes. After all, what point is there taking one on a long-haul flight if it doesn't go the distance, particularly with video playback? Constantly recharging is also a bug-bear. It's notable that when Apple's 3G and 4G iPods were behind many of their competitors on playing hours, Apple made a concerted effort to improve battery life, resulting in significant gains, particularly with the 5G/5.5G 80GB iPods.
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
- Apple Mystery Van spotted in Bay Area
- Apple to convert sapphire glass factory to data center command center
- Newer Tech replacement batteries for older unibody MacBooks
- McCracken on TUAW shutting down
Browse and search for more articles