c|net's lengthy test of the 80GB Zune reports that Wi-Fi – among other factors – results in lackluster battery performance from the Microsoft MP3 player.
The Zune managed only 22.5 hours of battery life playing audio only with Wi-Fi switched off, a far cry from Microsoft's claim of 30 hours. With Wi-Fi on, that figure dropped to 18.5 hours. In order to eke out more battery life from a single charge, Microsoft also deleted a feature from the original Zune - the built-in audio equalizer.
By contrast, the 80GB iPod Classic lasted 45 hours in the same c|net test.
The review argues that Zune is now truly 'competitive' with iPod, and the biggest problem it faces is the stigma associated with Zune 1.0.
Analysis: Battery life is arguably one of a music/video player's most important attributes. After all, what point is there taking one on a long-haul flight if it doesn't go the distance, particularly with video playback? Constantly recharging is also a bug-bear. It's notable that when Apple's 3G and 4G iPods were behind many of their competitors on playing hours, Apple made a concerted effort to improve battery life, resulting in significant gains, particularly with the 5G/5.5G 80GB iPods.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles