Roughly Drafted argues that Zune has failed as a product and lists three reasons why:
1. Wrong business strategy: a hardware loss leader which would recoup losses via content sales.
2. Wrong product: it ignores usability and instead tacks on features of dubious utility.
3. Wrong service: Redmond hasn't learnt from the failures of subscription services, such as Rhapsody and Napster. The main problem is the strategy of renting music with DRM that stops tracks from playing if subscriptions stop being paid.
Apple, the article points out, has consistently cut iPod prices, increased the number of features and made the iPod Shuffle and nano cheap enough to be popular gifts.
MS, on the other hand, blew off its Plays-for-Sure partners, which left its erstwhile bedfellows dumping their players at firesale prices.
The idea that Zune 2.0 80GB models are sold out? Bogus. MS has undersupplied to stores and reportedly has supplier problems.
There's much more at Roughly Drafted; do you agree?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles