AppleInsider is reporting with increasing confidence that MWSF in January 2008 will see the launch of the 13" super-slim, ultra-portable, much-rumored Mac subnotebook.
The optical disc drive is gone, the enclosure, like the MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4, is aluminium, and on-board NAND flash for virtually instantaneous boot times and low power consumption.
The 13" LCD panel will utilize LED backlights, like the current MBP to improve power efficiency.
Analysis: Price will be the key. Would 'MacBook Duo' (for want of a better name) cannibalize existing MacBook/MBP sales? Or would it be 'second' notebook? Would it woo Windows users to the Mac camp? Weight, too, will be the deal-maker.
Frankly, the omission of the DVD drive would be no biggie. Flash drives and iPods do the backup business these days, so the only loss would be the inability to do CD/DVD backups, or watch discs while travelling. But DVDs can be easily ripped and stored on hard drives, while Apple and third parties would be sure to offer compact, USB CD/DVD drives.
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles