AppleInsider is reporting with increasing confidence that MWSF in January 2008 will see the launch of the 13" super-slim, ultra-portable, much-rumored Mac subnotebook.
The optical disc drive is gone, the enclosure, like the MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4, is aluminium, and on-board NAND flash for virtually instantaneous boot times and low power consumption.
The 13" LCD panel will utilize LED backlights, like the current MBP to improve power efficiency.
Analysis: Price will be the key. Would 'MacBook Duo' (for want of a better name) cannibalize existing MacBook/MBP sales? Or would it be 'second' notebook? Would it woo Windows users to the Mac camp? Weight, too, will be the deal-maker.
Frankly, the omission of the DVD drive would be no biggie. Flash drives and iPods do the backup business these days, so the only loss would be the inability to do CD/DVD backups, or watch discs while travelling. But DVDs can be easily ripped and stored on hard drives, while Apple and third parties would be sure to offer compact, USB CD/DVD drives.
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
Browse and search for more articles