AppleInsider is reporting with increasing confidence that MWSF in January 2008 will see the launch of the 13" super-slim, ultra-portable, much-rumored Mac subnotebook.
The optical disc drive is gone, the enclosure, like the MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4, is aluminium, and on-board NAND flash for virtually instantaneous boot times and low power consumption.
The 13" LCD panel will utilize LED backlights, like the current MBP to improve power efficiency.
Analysis: Price will be the key. Would 'MacBook Duo' (for want of a better name) cannibalize existing MacBook/MBP sales? Or would it be 'second' notebook? Would it woo Windows users to the Mac camp? Weight, too, will be the deal-maker.
Frankly, the omission of the DVD drive would be no biggie. Flash drives and iPods do the backup business these days, so the only loss would be the inability to do CD/DVD backups, or watch discs while travelling. But DVDs can be easily ripped and stored on hard drives, while Apple and third parties would be sure to offer compact, USB CD/DVD drives.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles