Quoting unnamed industry insiders, Reuters reports that the iPhone is unlikely to hit Chinese shelves soon because of technical and fee issues.
"You have to realize Chinese SIM cards are not locked up, as the iPhones' are," an executive said on condition of anonymity. "Secondly, our business model does not entail sharing revenue with terminal producers—we don't share revenue. That's a Chinese rule.
"All it is right now, on the iPhone and Apple, is that the firm welcomes their approach," he continued.
Shares in Apple rose more than 10 percent on Tuesday—snapping a four-day losing streak—after China Mobile CEO Wang Jiangzhou said his firm was in talks about a possible tie-up. China Mobile stock also jumped 9 percent on Wednesday.
Editor's note: That's beautiful... Perhaps the last communist nation on earth has unlocked phones.
I imagine somebody made a rather pile of money from this "gaff"...
What's your take?
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
Browse and search for more articles