Ars Technica reports that apparently reliable sources state that up to 800 Apple Retail Store employees have been fired for cashing in their $100 iPhone credit...on phones they got for free.
Apple gave its retail employees gratis iPhones upon release. But Jobs' about-face on iPhone pricing in September, which included a $100 Store credit for all original iPhone purchasers (note purchasers) resulted in some employees seeing a loophole and applying for – and receiving – the credit.
According to Ars, Apple did hire a bunch of people for its Stores a few weeks ago, suggesting they were preparing to fire the naughty ones. If the story's accurate, in our book, frankly, it seems ludicrous to risk your job (and not a bad job, at that – we mean, it ain't bustin' rocks) for a mere $100 worth of Apple Store fruit. Especially when Apple was nice enough to give you an iPhone, which it was under no obligation to.
I've never been an Apple employee, but I've had a good relationship over the years with what used to be the PowerBook repair division, as well as Apple Authorized resellers. You want to keep it that way and I don't see any point, say, in trying to claim a warranty repair for something I was responsible for breaking, for instance. Trying to rip off a company for the sake of a mere $100 or few hundred bucks just isn't worth it, if it means jeopardizing the relationship at the same time.
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles