Ars Technica reports that apparently reliable sources state that up to 800 Apple Retail Store employees have been fired for cashing in their $100 iPhone credit...on phones they got for free.
Apple gave its retail employees gratis iPhones upon release. But Jobs' about-face on iPhone pricing in September, which included a $100 Store credit for all original iPhone purchasers (note purchasers) resulted in some employees seeing a loophole and applying for – and receiving – the credit.
According to Ars, Apple did hire a bunch of people for its Stores a few weeks ago, suggesting they were preparing to fire the naughty ones. If the story's accurate, in our book, frankly, it seems ludicrous to risk your job (and not a bad job, at that – we mean, it ain't bustin' rocks) for a mere $100 worth of Apple Store fruit. Especially when Apple was nice enough to give you an iPhone, which it was under no obligation to.
I've never been an Apple employee, but I've had a good relationship over the years with what used to be the PowerBook repair division, as well as Apple Authorized resellers. You want to keep it that way and I don't see any point, say, in trying to claim a warranty repair for something I was responsible for breaking, for instance. Trying to rip off a company for the sake of a mere $100 or few hundred bucks just isn't worth it, if it means jeopardizing the relationship at the same time.
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
Browse and search for more articles