Ars Technica reports that apparently reliable sources state that up to 800 Apple Retail Store employees have been fired for cashing in their $100 iPhone credit...on phones they got for free.
Apple gave its retail employees gratis iPhones upon release. But Jobs' about-face on iPhone pricing in September, which included a $100 Store credit for all original iPhone purchasers (note purchasers) resulted in some employees seeing a loophole and applying for – and receiving – the credit.
According to Ars, Apple did hire a bunch of people for its Stores a few weeks ago, suggesting they were preparing to fire the naughty ones. If the story's accurate, in our book, frankly, it seems ludicrous to risk your job (and not a bad job, at that – we mean, it ain't bustin' rocks) for a mere $100 worth of Apple Store fruit. Especially when Apple was nice enough to give you an iPhone, which it was under no obligation to.
I've never been an Apple employee, but I've had a good relationship over the years with what used to be the PowerBook repair division, as well as Apple Authorized resellers. You want to keep it that way and I don't see any point, say, in trying to claim a warranty repair for something I was responsible for breaking, for instance. Trying to rip off a company for the sake of a mere $100 or few hundred bucks just isn't worth it, if it means jeopardizing the relationship at the same time.
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
- Podcast: Apple Watch Preview/Preorder, Steve Jobs Book + More
- Evernote makes scanning easier with auto detection
- Wired on the Apple Watch origins
- Amazon Dash Button
- Early Benchmarks at new Macbook
- Report: The how, the where, and the when for the Apple Watch ordering
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
Browse and search for more articles