Market research firm iSuppli says that Apple's iPhone outsold its main rivals – BlackBerry, the Palm Treo and all other smart phones – during the month of July, Information Week. reports.
iPhone took 1.8% of the market in July, its first full month of sales, a significant percentage for a high-end phone. iSuppli said iPhone also 'equalled' the performance of 'feature phones', such as LG's Chocolate.
The research company also stated that, "While iSuppli hasn't collected historical information on this topic, it's likely that the speed of the iPhone's rise to competitive dominance in its segment is unprecedented in the history of the mobile-handset market."
iSuppli is predicting Apple will sell 4.5 million iPhones in 2007, putting Apple on track to sell 10 million through the end of 2008. However, more bullish analysts are predicting 12 million or more, and Apple is expected to bring prices down and introduce new, cheaper models over the next 15 months. By the end of 2011, Apple is expected to ship 30 million iPhones per annum.
An oddity: iSuppli's data says that "one out of 4 iPhone buyers switched wireless carriers to AT&T." That begs the question: what are the other 75% doing with their iPhone?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles