Market research firm iSuppli says that Apple's iPhone outsold its main rivals – BlackBerry, the Palm Treo and all other smart phones – during the month of July, Information Week. reports.
iPhone took 1.8% of the market in July, its first full month of sales, a significant percentage for a high-end phone. iSuppli said iPhone also 'equalled' the performance of 'feature phones', such as LG's Chocolate.
The research company also stated that, "While iSuppli hasn't collected historical information on this topic, it's likely that the speed of the iPhone's rise to competitive dominance in its segment is unprecedented in the history of the mobile-handset market."
iSuppli is predicting Apple will sell 4.5 million iPhones in 2007, putting Apple on track to sell 10 million through the end of 2008. However, more bullish analysts are predicting 12 million or more, and Apple is expected to bring prices down and introduce new, cheaper models over the next 15 months. By the end of 2011, Apple is expected to ship 30 million iPhones per annum.
An oddity: iSuppli's data says that "one out of 4 iPhone buyers switched wireless carriers to AT&T." That begs the question: what are the other 75% doing with their iPhone?
- Report: The how, the where, and the when for the Apple Watch ordering
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
Browse and search for more articles