Market research firm iSuppli says that Apple's iPhone outsold its main rivals – BlackBerry, the Palm Treo and all other smart phones – during the month of July, Information Week. reports.
iPhone took 1.8% of the market in July, its first full month of sales, a significant percentage for a high-end phone. iSuppli said iPhone also 'equalled' the performance of 'feature phones', such as LG's Chocolate.
The research company also stated that, "While iSuppli hasn't collected historical information on this topic, it's likely that the speed of the iPhone's rise to competitive dominance in its segment is unprecedented in the history of the mobile-handset market."
iSuppli is predicting Apple will sell 4.5 million iPhones in 2007, putting Apple on track to sell 10 million through the end of 2008. However, more bullish analysts are predicting 12 million or more, and Apple is expected to bring prices down and introduce new, cheaper models over the next 15 months. By the end of 2011, Apple is expected to ship 30 million iPhones per annum.
An oddity: iSuppli's data says that "one out of 4 iPhone buyers switched wireless carriers to AT&T." That begs the question: what are the other 75% doing with their iPhone?
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Hardware
- Apple Watch Apps, shipping issues, pop culture reactions
- Some practically useful early Apple Watch apps
- Ars: Inside Apple's ResearchKit
- Apple VP Angela Ahrendts sends video message on Apple Watch to retail employees
- Keynote, PowerPoint apps add support for Apple Watch
- How Apple Watch measures your heart rate
- AnandTech review of new MacBook
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
Browse and search for more articles