Is iPod losing its luster? At least in the UK, the Scotsman writes, the Little MP3 Player That Could is beginning to garner some negative vibe.
Why? Quality issues, mainly, the article says. What's more, the recent revelations over the working conditions at Foxconn hasn't necessary endeared Apple to Generation Next.
The evidence? A YouGov brand awareness survey index, which has seen a fall in popularity in Apple's brand. The index for quality has fallen the most, according to the survey.
Unsurprisingly, Apple denies a quality problem. Indeed, big guns like iPod Marketing VP Greg Joswiak says that iPod has a first-year failure rate of 5%, whereas many companies, such as cell phone makers, have failure rates of up to 30%.
Joswiak blames perceptions about low quality on mishandling of iPods. He notes it's a complex piece of electronics, which can be broken if dropped.
Analysis: Mere FUD? Or is iPod on a downward slide? If iPods were really falling in popularity by degrees, wouldn't we expect to see commensurate gains in market share by rival MP3 players? That hasn't happened yet, not by a long shot.
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles