Is iPod losing its luster? At least in the UK, the Scotsman writes, the Little MP3 Player That Could is beginning to garner some negative vibe.
Why? Quality issues, mainly, the article says. What's more, the recent revelations over the working conditions at Foxconn hasn't necessary endeared Apple to Generation Next.
The evidence? A YouGov brand awareness survey index, which has seen a fall in popularity in Apple's brand. The index for quality has fallen the most, according to the survey.
Unsurprisingly, Apple denies a quality problem. Indeed, big guns like iPod Marketing VP Greg Joswiak says that iPod has a first-year failure rate of 5%, whereas many companies, such as cell phone makers, have failure rates of up to 30%.
Joswiak blames perceptions about low quality on mishandling of iPods. He notes it's a complex piece of electronics, which can be broken if dropped.
Analysis: Mere FUD? Or is iPod on a downward slide? If iPods were really falling in popularity by degrees, wouldn't we expect to see commensurate gains in market share by rival MP3 players? That hasn't happened yet, not by a long shot.
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
Browse and search for more articles