Joystiq.com provides a good, skeptical slant on the widely-rumored Apple-Nintendo merger or acquisition. So, why wouldn't the two companies come together? Joystiq identifies four key reasons:
1. Nintendo makes a profit.
2. Nintendo Wii is a potential major hit.
3. Nintendo does not want to sell. Even Bill Gates hasn't got his hands on the company.
4. Keiretsu. Takeovers of Japanese companies is notoriously difficult (unless the company is Mazda or Nissan and the situation is so hopeless they want to be taken over.
On the other side of the ledger, Apple is simply rolling in cash right now and has made relatively small (Powerschool - now sold; eMagic) strategic acquisitions in certain key market sectors. Powerschool never made any money. eMagic was purchased for its tech and its tie-ins with Apple's pro audio strategy. But these were relatively small beer.
Then there was the widely-reported rumor that Apple planned a huge purchase - Vivendi's Universal Music Group. Vivendi was selling (for about $6-7 billion), but Apple's stock plunged on the rumor and the purchase was never on the cards. Ever.
All of this stems from reports relating to an Apple games division. Frankly, wherever possible, Apple does things in-house. There's still a touch of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome at Cupertino.
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles