Joystiq.com provides a good, skeptical slant on the widely-rumored Apple-Nintendo merger or acquisition. So, why wouldn't the two companies come together? Joystiq identifies four key reasons:
1. Nintendo makes a profit.
2. Nintendo Wii is a potential major hit.
3. Nintendo does not want to sell. Even Bill Gates hasn't got his hands on the company.
4. Keiretsu. Takeovers of Japanese companies is notoriously difficult (unless the company is Mazda or Nissan and the situation is so hopeless they want to be taken over.
On the other side of the ledger, Apple is simply rolling in cash right now and has made relatively small (Powerschool - now sold; eMagic) strategic acquisitions in certain key market sectors. Powerschool never made any money. eMagic was purchased for its tech and its tie-ins with Apple's pro audio strategy. But these were relatively small beer.
Then there was the widely-reported rumor that Apple planned a huge purchase - Vivendi's Universal Music Group. Vivendi was selling (for about $6-7 billion), but Apple's stock plunged on the rumor and the purchase was never on the cards. Ever.
All of this stems from reports relating to an Apple games division. Frankly, wherever possible, Apple does things in-house. There's still a touch of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome at Cupertino.
- Apple opens OS X betas to everyone
- Apple patches triple handshake, other vulnerabilities
- Apple TV ad Powerful shows off iPhone 5s prowess
- 1Password gets significant updates to iOS, OS X
- Proposed Thunderbolt standard promises to support dual 4K displays
- A&E, The History Channel, and Lifetime channels now available on Apple TV
- Apple touts environmental efforts for Earth Day
- Report: Nike looks to get out of fitness tracker game
- 13 Steve Jobs Quotes
- Twelve South launches wooden Macbook stand in BookArc möd
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
Browse and search for more articles