Joystiq.com provides a good, skeptical slant on the widely-rumored Apple-Nintendo merger or acquisition. So, why wouldn't the two companies come together? Joystiq identifies four key reasons:
1. Nintendo makes a profit.
2. Nintendo Wii is a potential major hit.
3. Nintendo does not want to sell. Even Bill Gates hasn't got his hands on the company.
4. Keiretsu. Takeovers of Japanese companies is notoriously difficult (unless the company is Mazda or Nissan and the situation is so hopeless they want to be taken over.
On the other side of the ledger, Apple is simply rolling in cash right now and has made relatively small (Powerschool - now sold; eMagic) strategic acquisitions in certain key market sectors. Powerschool never made any money. eMagic was purchased for its tech and its tie-ins with Apple's pro audio strategy. But these were relatively small beer.
Then there was the widely-reported rumor that Apple planned a huge purchase - Vivendi's Universal Music Group. Vivendi was selling (for about $6-7 billion), but Apple's stock plunged on the rumor and the purchase was never on the cards. Ever.
All of this stems from reports relating to an Apple games division. Frankly, wherever possible, Apple does things in-house. There's still a touch of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome at Cupertino.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles