Digitimes notes that Dell and Asustek will launch 'AV' notebooks shortly to compete with Toshiba's range of Qosmio portables, The new notebooks will feature 'TV and audio' functionality, as well as DVD recording.
The question is whether Apple needs to match this in its PowerBook line. Desktop Media Center PCs have become increasingly popular in recent quarters, reportedly having some impact on the sales of notebooks.
No PCMCIA/CardBus TV solution for the PowerBook exists to my knowledge, although EyeTV and other USB solutions abound. Although an Apple-developed internal or CardBus TV card may not be a deal-clincher, it would add considerably to the PowerBook's already formidable array of multimedia support. With FireWire DV and DVD burning, plus DVDSP, iMovie and iDVD, Apple already leads the industry in many respects.
Looking back to the Quadra AVs, Quadra 630, various TV-equipped Performas and even the MacTV, it's always been a popular option. The market may be the iBook customer, rather than the PowerBook, but it's still something Apple needs to consider seriously. On CDRW burners, Apple largely missed the boat, although it was first and foremost in the market with the DVD-R-equipped Power Mac G4 733.
Given that AV options are becoming more widely available for PC notebooks, Apple needs to respond to this growing market. Moreover, an 'iTV' app - copyright issues notwithstanding - makes sense, given the burgeoning demand for home DVD video recorders. Some slick editing functionality borrowed from iMovie and iDVD for recorded TV programs would make for a killer app. Then there's the education market. Rather than recording in VHS (usually at the wrong speed) and then taking it into school or college only to find it won't play correctly, a well-edited, easy-to-navigate DVD would be just the ticket for classes.
And it would be just one more thing which would make the Mac the perfect digital hub. What do you think?
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles