On the anniversary of iTunes' launch, [see our earlier story] Apple CEO Steve Jobs declared that Microsoft's music subscription service model was not the one consumers wanted, Macworld UK reports.
"Purchasing and owning music is a very ingrained thing," Jobs is quoted as saying in the story, "and I think that is why subscription services have failed."
As Microsoft readies Janus [see our story earlier this month], its subscription service with built-in Digital Rights Management (DRM), Jobs has already dismissed the technology, arguing it is not what content providers want.
"Here's the deal. Microsoft does not own the content, and the content owners do not think it's such a good idea. they do not want to license their content through a subscription model where it can be carried on portable players for maybe ten dollars a month. We speak to these people, and that's what they tell us," Macworld UK report quotes Jobs as saying.
Jobs also poured cold war on speculation - rampant for around two years now - that Apple will integrate color screens or video into its iPod. But Jobs sees music players and video devices as utterly different. Music success for Apple, he says, has been revolutionary because the company has delivered a one-stop solution to digital music.
Analysis: That's not to say Apple isn't prepping another digital device; it just means it's not an iPod. After all, why sell one unit when you can sell two? Works for the Mac and the portables, doesn't it?
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
Browse and search for more articles