According to FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Dave Thomas, if cybercrime is on your mind -- no matter which side of the law you're on -- the Mac is the best choice. Though he himself uses an IBM portable, because of budget constraints, this representative of "da man" told technology students at Washington University (St Louis) that staffers of the law enforcement organization's Washington, DC headquarters prefer Macs because they can run all of the popular OS' and because they're secure right out of the box.
Special Agent Thomas' remarks are being carried in a SecurityFocus.com by Scott Granneman. Here's an excerpt:
"...computer security folks back at FBI HQ use Macs running OS X, since those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box ... Are you listening, Apple? The FBI wants to buy your stuff. Talk to them!
"Dave also had a great quotation for us: 'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.'"
That's quite an endorsement for the platform!
- Live @ 10 PM ET: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall - Podcast
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
- Detailed look at coverage of Google’s fortunes vs Apple
Browse and search for more articles