According to FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Dave Thomas, if cybercrime is on your mind -- no matter which side of the law you're on -- the Mac is the best choice. Though he himself uses an IBM portable, because of budget constraints, this representative of "da man" told technology students at Washington University (St Louis) that staffers of the law enforcement organization's Washington, DC headquarters prefer Macs because they can run all of the popular OS' and because they're secure right out of the box.
Special Agent Thomas' remarks are being carried in a SecurityFocus.com by Scott Granneman. Here's an excerpt:
"...computer security folks back at FBI HQ use Macs running OS X, since those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box ... Are you listening, Apple? The FBI wants to buy your stuff. Talk to them!
"Dave also had a great quotation for us: 'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.'"
That's quite an endorsement for the platform!
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
Browse and search for more articles