According to FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Dave Thomas, if cybercrime is on your mind -- no matter which side of the law you're on -- the Mac is the best choice. Though he himself uses an IBM portable, because of budget constraints, this representative of "da man" told technology students at Washington University (St Louis) that staffers of the law enforcement organization's Washington, DC headquarters prefer Macs because they can run all of the popular OS' and because they're secure right out of the box.
Special Agent Thomas' remarks are being carried in a SecurityFocus.com by Scott Granneman. Here's an excerpt:
"...computer security folks back at FBI HQ use Macs running OS X, since those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box ... Are you listening, Apple? The FBI wants to buy your stuff. Talk to them!
"Dave also had a great quotation for us: 'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.'"
That's quite an endorsement for the platform!
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles