Dropbox announced this week an overhaul of its paid storage options. The company is replacing its old tiers of storage plans with a single 1 TB option. Pricing is $10/mo or $99. On the old plan that would have bought you just 100 GB, so this is a significant boost.
Other new features are available to Pro customers. New sharing options let you assign passwords and expiration dates to shared links. Also you can share folders as view-only.
One really cool feature is the ability to remotely wipe your syncíd data from devices. This is handy if you lose access to your computer and are concerned about your data.
Another change is Dropbox is altering the pack rat file versioning feature. Pack Rat allows customers to restore previous versions of their data. The feature will now only go back 1 year. The company said most customers donít restore files that old, although for a limited time it seems current customers can retain the unlimited version control.
The moves are likely addressing storage offerings from Google and Apple. Google also has a 1 TB plan for around $120 and Apple is planning to offer much more competitive pricing for its retooled iCloud storage. iCloud will offer 200 GB of storage for less than $50, which was half as much as Dropbox was offering 100 GB.
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
Browse and search for more articles