Last year the August Smart Lock was announced and began pre-orders. What was originally due to ship by end of year slipped repeatedly. Now the August Smart Lock appears ready to ship. In a blog post the company announced limited quantities would begins filling pre-orders over the coming months.
The lock works by fitting over an existing dead-bolt door lock. The mechanism physically moves the lock when commanded via Bluetooth. It's priced at $250 for retail. Pre-orders were available for $200.
I ordered one and a over a year later I'm not too sure why. Yeah, it's neat, but it's pricy for a retrofit lock. As is the case with these startup products, by time they ship fast followers are already to market. There are a number of integrated Bluetooth locks available now for the same price or less.
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
- Apple TV and HomeKit
- iPhone lines and the black market
- Podcast - iPhone pre-orders, iOS 8, Tim Cook Interview + More
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
Browse and search for more articles