Apple Wednesday announced a new entry level iMac that pushes the iMac price tag down about $200 to $1099. The new 21.5-inch model trims the specs of the previous low-end iMac with a slower 1.4 GHz dual-core i5 CPU, Integrated Intel graphics, and 500 GB hard drive.
The move allows Apple to trim the “starting at” price tag on promotional material. Given the timing, I’d guess this lower end iMac may be geared towards education customers, although unlike previous “streamlined” iMacs this is available to everyone. Occasionally Apple would make a low-end iMac available to just eduction customers, particularly institutions looking to outfit labs.
Students likely will opt for a laptop, but if someone is shopping for iMac for school that configuration sells for $1049, or $50 less. Apple typically puts out an back to school promo, so if you are thinking of buying something, you may want to hold off until later this summer.
Anyway, a bit of a curious move. Recently Apple tweaked the MacBook Air lineup by adjusting the lowest end model, but that was actually a slight increase in speed and price cut. Here Apple is cutting prices and specs.
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
Browse and search for more articles