Apple Wednesday announced a new entry level iMac that pushes the iMac price tag down about $200 to $1099. The new 21.5-inch model trims the specs of the previous low-end iMac with a slower 1.4 GHz dual-core i5 CPU, Integrated Intel graphics, and 500 GB hard drive.
The move allows Apple to trim the “starting at” price tag on promotional material. Given the timing, I’d guess this lower end iMac may be geared towards education customers, although unlike previous “streamlined” iMacs this is available to everyone. Occasionally Apple would make a low-end iMac available to just eduction customers, particularly institutions looking to outfit labs.
Students likely will opt for a laptop, but if someone is shopping for iMac for school that configuration sells for $1049, or $50 less. Apple typically puts out an back to school promo, so if you are thinking of buying something, you may want to hold off until later this summer.
Anyway, a bit of a curious move. Recently Apple tweaked the MacBook Air lineup by adjusting the lowest end model, but that was actually a slight increase in speed and price cut. Here Apple is cutting prices and specs.
- 1Password 5 now available for iOS w/ extensions, touch ID support
- iCloud data gets 2-step verification, new app-specifc passwords
- Apple posts Android switcher guide
- Charlie Rose Tim Cook Interview
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
Browse and search for more articles