Apple Wednesday announced a new entry level iMac that pushes the iMac price tag down about $200 to $1099. The new 21.5-inch model trims the specs of the previous low-end iMac with a slower 1.4 GHz dual-core i5 CPU, Integrated Intel graphics, and 500 GB hard drive.
The move allows Apple to trim the “starting at” price tag on promotional material. Given the timing, I’d guess this lower end iMac may be geared towards education customers, although unlike previous “streamlined” iMacs this is available to everyone. Occasionally Apple would make a low-end iMac available to just eduction customers, particularly institutions looking to outfit labs.
Students likely will opt for a laptop, but if someone is shopping for iMac for school that configuration sells for $1049, or $50 less. Apple typically puts out an back to school promo, so if you are thinking of buying something, you may want to hold off until later this summer.
Anyway, a bit of a curious move. Recently Apple tweaked the MacBook Air lineup by adjusting the lowest end model, but that was actually a slight increase in speed and price cut. Here Apple is cutting prices and specs.
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
- Apple Mystery Van spotted in Bay Area
- Apple to convert sapphire glass factory to data center command center
- Newer Tech replacement batteries for older unibody MacBooks
- McCracken on TUAW shutting down
Browse and search for more articles