Peer-to-Peer AirPlay has been a dream feature of mine basically since AirPlay. Right now to share a screen or stream audio/video from a device to an Apple TV all devices are required to be on the same WiFi network. Not a unreasonable situation, but often it hampers the full potential.
Apple TV is a great tool in an classrooms and conference rooms, etc, but allowing the device and all other devices on the same network can pose some logistical and security issues. Particularly devices that talk directly to each other over a network can be a red flag for security policies. This is true for trusted users and guests.
If Peer-to-Peer AirPlay is a reality, it could become easy to connect to an Apple TV and stream content. The network would no longer be required or be a policy gateway.
From Apple's iOS 8 Enterprise info:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organizationís network. Which means you can present or share your work even if youíre offline or the organization has a complex network.
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
Browse and search for more articles