Peer-to-Peer AirPlay has been a dream feature of mine basically since AirPlay. Right now to share a screen or stream audio/video from a device to an Apple TV all devices are required to be on the same WiFi network. Not a unreasonable situation, but often it hampers the full potential.
Apple TV is a great tool in an classrooms and conference rooms, etc, but allowing the device and all other devices on the same network can pose some logistical and security issues. Particularly devices that talk directly to each other over a network can be a red flag for security policies. This is true for trusted users and guests.
If Peer-to-Peer AirPlay is a reality, it could become easy to connect to an Apple TV and stream content. The network would no longer be required or be a policy gateway.
From Apple's iOS 8 Enterprise info:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organizationís network. Which means you can present or share your work even if youíre offline or the organization has a complex network.
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcastís internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
- New MacBook Air stickers ad
- A detailed look at Yosemite and iOS 8 Continuity features
- Maroon 5, Pharrel Williams, Beck headline iTunes Festival
- Comcast vs Ryan Block
- Apple launches Swift developer blog
- LEGO Fusion looks pretty neat
Browse and search for more articles