Peer-to-Peer AirPlay has been a dream feature of mine basically since AirPlay. Right now to share a screen or stream audio/video from a device to an Apple TV all devices are required to be on the same WiFi network. Not a unreasonable situation, but often it hampers the full potential.
Apple TV is a great tool in an classrooms and conference rooms, etc, but allowing the device and all other devices on the same network can pose some logistical and security issues. Particularly devices that talk directly to each other over a network can be a red flag for security policies. This is true for trusted users and guests.
If Peer-to-Peer AirPlay is a reality, it could become easy to connect to an Apple TV and stream content. The network would no longer be required or be a policy gateway.
From Apple's iOS 8 Enterprise info:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organizationís network. Which means you can present or share your work even if youíre offline or the organization has a complex network.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles