Peer-to-Peer AirPlay has been a dream feature of mine basically since AirPlay. Right now to share a screen or stream audio/video from a device to an Apple TV all devices are required to be on the same WiFi network. Not a unreasonable situation, but often it hampers the full potential.
Apple TV is a great tool in an classrooms and conference rooms, etc, but allowing the device and all other devices on the same network can pose some logistical and security issues. Particularly devices that talk directly to each other over a network can be a red flag for security policies. This is true for trusted users and guests.
If Peer-to-Peer AirPlay is a reality, it could become easy to connect to an Apple TV and stream content. The network would no longer be required or be a policy gateway.
From Apple's iOS 8 Enterprise info:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you’re offline or the organization has a complex network.
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
Browse and search for more articles