Peer-to-Peer AirPlay has been a dream feature of mine basically since AirPlay. Right now to share a screen or stream audio/video from a device to an Apple TV all devices are required to be on the same WiFi network. Not a unreasonable situation, but often it hampers the full potential.
Apple TV is a great tool in an classrooms and conference rooms, etc, but allowing the device and all other devices on the same network can pose some logistical and security issues. Particularly devices that talk directly to each other over a network can be a red flag for security policies. This is true for trusted users and guests.
If Peer-to-Peer AirPlay is a reality, it could become easy to connect to an Apple TV and stream content. The network would no longer be required or be a policy gateway.
From Apple's iOS 8 Enterprise info:
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you’re offline or the organization has a complex network.
- Interesting info on how Apple Music likes work
- Trans Intl announce performance 2 TB Tiger SSD
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
Browse and search for more articles