TotalVirus is a Google company that helps identify and track malware. The software is free an its APIs are open for other developers to implement. Itís been popular on Windows and now a Mac version is available.
The software will:
- Drag and drop a file to the VirusTotal Uploader in order to scan it with over 50 antivirus solutions.
The scheduling feature is interesting. I could see some basic functionality to automatically scan your Applications folder, for example, although thereís no guarantee malware will end up there. Perhaps too your downloads folder. If you have it check daily and get in the habit of keeping stuff around, that could alert you of a problem. Personally I use Hazel to prune out my download folder weekly, so that could work for me.
Beyond that it seems to rely on the user to be proactive. Iím not sure the Mac users feel the urgency to manually check all incoming files, but still itís good to have the tool.
- 4 million iPhone orders in first day, up from 2 million for iPhone 5
- Podcast: iPhone 6, Watch, Apple Pay, etc, etc
- New iCloud storage plans rolling out
- Macworld Magazine ends, continues online
- Apple Watch
- The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Apple Pay
- Podcast: iCloud security tips, TheFappening, Apple Event, plus more
- Wired on how iCloud accounts may have been hacked
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
Browse and search for more articles