TotalVirus is a Google company that helps identify and track malware. The software is free an its APIs are open for other developers to implement. Itís been popular on Windows and now a Mac version is available.
The software will:
- Drag and drop a file to the VirusTotal Uploader in order to scan it with over 50 antivirus solutions.
The scheduling feature is interesting. I could see some basic functionality to automatically scan your Applications folder, for example, although thereís no guarantee malware will end up there. Perhaps too your downloads folder. If you have it check daily and get in the habit of keeping stuff around, that could alert you of a problem. Personally I use Hazel to prune out my download folder weekly, so that could work for me.
Beyond that it seems to rely on the user to be proactive. Iím not sure the Mac users feel the urgency to manually check all incoming files, but still itís good to have the tool.
- My iCloud security tips
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcastís internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
Browse and search for more articles