TotalVirus is a Google company that helps identify and track malware. The software is free an its APIs are open for other developers to implement. Itís been popular on Windows and now a Mac version is available.
The software will:
- Drag and drop a file to the VirusTotal Uploader in order to scan it with over 50 antivirus solutions.
The scheduling feature is interesting. I could see some basic functionality to automatically scan your Applications folder, for example, although thereís no guarantee malware will end up there. Perhaps too your downloads folder. If you have it check daily and get in the habit of keeping stuff around, that could alert you of a problem. Personally I use Hazel to prune out my download folder weekly, so that could work for me.
Beyond that it seems to rely on the user to be proactive. Iím not sure the Mac users feel the urgency to manually check all incoming files, but still itís good to have the tool.
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
Browse and search for more articles