Apple and Google have agreed to dismiss all the current lawsuits that exist directly between the two companies. Apple and Google have also agreed to work together in some areas of patent reform. The agreement does not include a cross license.
This seems a step in the right direction, although this doesn't cover the Samsung lawsuits. As the quote indicates this agreement doesn't include any licenses. It's just simply a legal truce. It will be interesting to see if there will be changes with Apple and Samsung or if this is simply Google and Apple redirecting their turrets to patent trolls.
Brian X Chen for NYT:
Apple and Google have both been sued nearly 200 times in the last five years by businesses that exist solely to file patent lawsuits. Apple last year was the top target for patent lawsuits, and Google was among the top three. To combat trolls, both companies earlier this year asked the Supreme Court to make it easier to collect lawyers’ fees from patent holders who lose frivolous patent suits.
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
- Apple Mystery Van spotted in Bay Area
- Apple to convert sapphire glass factory to data center command center
- Newer Tech replacement batteries for older unibody MacBooks
- McCracken on TUAW shutting down
Browse and search for more articles