When I first heard the rumor Apple was buying Beats, I rolled my eyes. The modern Apple only limits itself to bite sized accusations. And purchases are usually for strategic reasons and not products/services. $3.2 billion would greatly surpass its largest ever purchase of NeXT in 1997. That was about $400 million. That should put this purchase into perspective as Apple seems to be making a big play here.
I’m not sure this is really about headphones. My gut is Apple will maintain the Beats headphone/speaker empire just out of obligation to shareholder value. The bigger prize here is likely the people and streaming content. The Wall Street Journal reported that Iovine and Dre will take on senior positions at Apple. They will stay put in Los Angeles, however, so that suggests they wouldn’t be a part of Apple's executive team. Likely they’ll continuing running the Beats operation while probably being players for Apple with the entertainment industry.
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles