Dropbox Wednesday announced two new applications that link with the cloud service. First is Carousel for iOS and Android. The app pulls together and organizes photos stored on your Dropbox account.
We’d like you to meet Carousel: a gallery for all the photos and videos from your life. It combines the photos in your Dropbox with the photos on your phone, and automatically backs up new ones as you take them. Carousel sorts all these memories by event so you can easily travel back in time to any photo from any date. And unlike other mobile galleries, the size of your Carousel isn’t constrained by the space on your phone, which means you can finally have your entire life’s memories in one place.
I was a fan of Everpix that was a good effort at wrangling the torrents of photos that funnel through my devices. Apple’s Photo Stream/iCloud does some nice stuff for getting all your photos to all your devices and makes it nice to share, especially with other iOS users. It lacks data management, however. Of course, storing a lot of photos on your dropbox account will likely mean you’ll have to pay for more storage. One nice thing is those memories will be backed/stored and synced on the cloud. Plus using services like IFTTT can automate the process of getting your photos in the right spot.
Dropbox also announced a preview version of its Mailbox app for OS X. Mailbox is currently available for iOS and it attempts to better wrangle the inbox.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcast’s internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles