Kanex is teasing a couple new Thunderbolt adapters. Both adapters add on a USB 3.0 port in addition to Ethernet and eSATA. Similar to Apple’s Gigabit Ethernet adapter, the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet + USB 3.0 adapter allows Ethernet connectivity via Thunderbolt. The second is the Thunderbolt to eSATA + USB 3.0, which lets you add on an external SATA device via Thunderbolt.
The later seems particularly useful, although you can get USB 3.0 to eSATA. The big advantage here seems to be the added throughput speeds of Thunderbolt, plus adding on that extra USB 3.0 port for additional gear. These would seem particularly handy for MacBook Air which only ship with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports.
Both devices are expected to ship later this summer. No pricing is currently available.
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles