The Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend that Apple and Comcast are in talks. Reportedly Apple is seeking a partnership in a new video service. Essentially it seems a new version of an Apple TV would replace a Comcast cable box. Such a plan would seem to ambitious as it would challenge a lot of conventions in the cable business. The advantages for Apple would seem obvious as it would boost hardware sales, content sales, and perhaps share of subscription fees. For Comcast, it should help retain customers who may be most likely to cut back on video services in exchange for online content.
The deal also would reportedly require network infrastructure changes to allow Apple content direct access to said boxes. In addition there may be regulatory hurdles.
Under the plan Apple proposed to Comcast, Apple's video streams would be treated as a "managed service" traveling in Internet protocol format—similar to cable video-on-demand or phone service. Those services travel on a special portion of the cable pipe that is separate from the more congested portion reserved for public Internet access.
Any potential service appears to be a ways out. Even if there’s an agreement on the details the technical issues will take a while to resolve. WSJ reports Comcast would need to upgrade its infrastructure to accommodate such a service.
- Podcast: Apple Watch try-on experience, new MacBook
- 1Password 5.4 for iOS brings Apple Watch support
- Reddit Infographic visually describe Apple Watch UI
- Andy Hertzfeld on latest Jobs biography
- OWC Envoy Pro mini brings up to 480GB on a USB 3.0 stick
- Apple sets June 8th for WWDC
- Apple releases ResearchKit medical research framework
- The Apple Watch store appointment experience
- Podcast: Picking an Apple Watch, 1Password OTP
- Apple Watch goes on pre-order Friday exclusively online
- Apple VP Ahrendts tells staff best way to buy Apple Watch
- 1Password for Mac 5.3 adds TOTP Password support
- Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection comings to iTunes
- HBO Now launches for iOS
- Apple offering employees up to 50% discount on Apple Watch at launch
- Apple Watch Guided Tours
- Podcast: Apple Watch Preview/Preorder, Steve Jobs Book + More
- Evernote makes scanning easier with auto detection
- Wired on the Apple Watch origins
- Amazon Dash Button
- Early Benchmarks at new Macbook
- Report: The how, the where, and the when for the Apple Watch ordering
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
Browse and search for more articles