The Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend that Apple and Comcast are in talks. Reportedly Apple is seeking a partnership in a new video service. Essentially it seems a new version of an Apple TV would replace a Comcast cable box. Such a plan would seem to ambitious as it would challenge a lot of conventions in the cable business. The advantages for Apple would seem obvious as it would boost hardware sales, content sales, and perhaps share of subscription fees. For Comcast, it should help retain customers who may be most likely to cut back on video services in exchange for online content.
The deal also would reportedly require network infrastructure changes to allow Apple content direct access to said boxes. In addition there may be regulatory hurdles.
Under the plan Apple proposed to Comcast, Apple's video streams would be treated as a "managed service" traveling in Internet protocol format—similar to cable video-on-demand or phone service. Those services travel on a special portion of the cable pipe that is separate from the more congested portion reserved for public Internet access.
Any potential service appears to be a ways out. Even if there’s an agreement on the details the technical issues will take a while to resolve. WSJ reports Comcast would need to upgrade its infrastructure to accommodate such a service.
- Apple retail tracking site ifoapplestore calls it quits
- Session with Becoming Steve Jobs authors available on iTunes
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
Browse and search for more articles