Other World Computing has a detailed walk through video for upgrading the Mac Pro CPU.The process is involved, but doesn’t look anything too tricky beyond lots of steps. Considering the cost of the components, you’ll definitely want to feel comfortable in the procedure.
The advantage here is if you buy a lower-end Mac Pro there’s a path for upgrading. Also in the future there may be a path for next generation upgrades, as long as they match the FCLGA2011 socket.
OWC sells Xeon upgrades with prices starting at $1249 for an 8 core 2.6 GHz CPu and $2927 for a 12 core 2.7 GHz model.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles