Other World Computing has a detailed walk through video for upgrading the Mac Pro CPU.The process is involved, but doesn’t look anything too tricky beyond lots of steps. Considering the cost of the components, you’ll definitely want to feel comfortable in the procedure.
The advantage here is if you buy a lower-end Mac Pro there’s a path for upgrading. Also in the future there may be a path for next generation upgrades, as long as they match the FCLGA2011 socket.
OWC sells Xeon upgrades with prices starting at $1249 for an 8 core 2.6 GHz CPu and $2927 for a 12 core 2.7 GHz model.
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
- Google Inbox
- Memory upgrades for new 5K iMac from Other World Computing
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
Browse and search for more articles