Other World Computing has a detailed walk through video for upgrading the Mac Pro CPU.The process is involved, but doesn’t look anything too tricky beyond lots of steps. Considering the cost of the components, you’ll definitely want to feel comfortable in the procedure.
The advantage here is if you buy a lower-end Mac Pro there’s a path for upgrading. Also in the future there may be a path for next generation upgrades, as long as they match the FCLGA2011 socket.
OWC sells Xeon upgrades with prices starting at $1249 for an 8 core 2.6 GHz CPu and $2927 for a 12 core 2.7 GHz model.
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles