Molly Wood for the NYT:
The iPhone 5S has just a 1.2-megapixel camera on the front. In general, iPhone cameras are known for having relatively low megapixels but good sensor and optics technology. The iPhone’s rear camera, for example, is one of the best smartphone cameras available, and is easily capable of replacing a snapshot camera entirely.
The iPhone 5S was the surprising disappointment of the bunch. Its focus was inconsistent, colors tended to appear washed out, and its lens produced the most distortion of the bunch (once again: My nose does not look like that in real life).
Apple calls its front-facing camera the FaceTime cam for a reason. The primary feature is video chat and Apple promotes it as much. Video is going to be compressed and image quality isn’t exactly going to translate. To me at least, Wood is known for these fluff pieces and the iPhone’s front camera isn’t that bad for photos. Still, the iPhone's front camera could stand to get a little better because people do use it to capture memories.
FWIW, of the cameras tested Wood found the HTC One to take the best front-facing photos (I’m not calling them selfies).
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
Browse and search for more articles