Molly Wood for the NYT:
The iPhone 5S has just a 1.2-megapixel camera on the front. In general, iPhone cameras are known for having relatively low megapixels but good sensor and optics technology. The iPhoneís rear camera, for example, is one of the best smartphone cameras available, and is easily capable of replacing a snapshot camera entirely.
The iPhone 5S was the surprising disappointment of the bunch. Its focus was inconsistent, colors tended to appear washed out, and its lens produced the most distortion of the bunch (once again: My nose does not look like that in real life).
Apple calls its front-facing camera the FaceTime cam for a reason. The primary feature is video chat and Apple promotes it as much. Video is going to be compressed and image quality isnít exactly going to translate. To me at least, Wood is known for these fluff pieces and the iPhoneís front camera isnít that bad for photos. Still, the iPhone's front camera could stand to get a little better because people do use it to capture memories.
FWIW, of the cameras tested Wood found the HTC One to take the best front-facing photos (Iím not calling them selfies).
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles