Molly Wood for the NYT:
The iPhone 5S has just a 1.2-megapixel camera on the front. In general, iPhone cameras are known for having relatively low megapixels but good sensor and optics technology. The iPhone’s rear camera, for example, is one of the best smartphone cameras available, and is easily capable of replacing a snapshot camera entirely.
The iPhone 5S was the surprising disappointment of the bunch. Its focus was inconsistent, colors tended to appear washed out, and its lens produced the most distortion of the bunch (once again: My nose does not look like that in real life).
Apple calls its front-facing camera the FaceTime cam for a reason. The primary feature is video chat and Apple promotes it as much. Video is going to be compressed and image quality isn’t exactly going to translate. To me at least, Wood is known for these fluff pieces and the iPhone’s front camera isn’t that bad for photos. Still, the iPhone's front camera could stand to get a little better because people do use it to capture memories.
FWIW, of the cameras tested Wood found the HTC One to take the best front-facing photos (I’m not calling them selfies).
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
- Apple Mystery Van spotted in Bay Area
- Apple to convert sapphire glass factory to data center command center
- Newer Tech replacement batteries for older unibody MacBooks
- McCracken on TUAW shutting down
Browse and search for more articles