Iíve got a thing for weather apps and purchased a lot of them. When Dark Sky was released it had a nifty feature of notifying you when it was about to rain. It was locations specific, of course. It also had a cool precipitation predictor to give you a practical visual on not only the chance of rain for your immediate location, but the intensity. It also works for snow. Often when it storms, Iíll flip this open to if the app calls the medium or heavy percip.
Version 4.0 was released this week and itís a major overhaul. Iíve been having some fun playing around with it. My only complaint is it seems to have lost unique feel in exchange for turning into an iOS 7 app. Thatís not to say it doesnít look nice, it just now looks like a lot of other apps. The radar map on the old version never really sat well with me. I just didnít like, perhaps because it was such a departure from the traditional green blob maps. And it had limited panning. I like the new radar map better and it has an interesting curved look for the globe as you zoom out. The map also incorporates temperature, which is interesting to see vs just the typical temps in major cities. It also now provides more weather data, essentially becoming more than the original precipitation predictor.
Usually I have Dark Sky tucked away in a folder and bring it up when needed. The new update makes it a contender for my main weather app.
The major upgrade is free to existing users and otherwise sells for $3.99.
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Appleís Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles