Iíve got a thing for weather apps and purchased a lot of them. When Dark Sky was released it had a nifty feature of notifying you when it was about to rain. It was locations specific, of course. It also had a cool precipitation predictor to give you a practical visual on not only the chance of rain for your immediate location, but the intensity. It also works for snow. Often when it storms, Iíll flip this open to if the app calls the medium or heavy percip.
Version 4.0 was released this week and itís a major overhaul. Iíve been having some fun playing around with it. My only complaint is it seems to have lost unique feel in exchange for turning into an iOS 7 app. Thatís not to say it doesnít look nice, it just now looks like a lot of other apps. The radar map on the old version never really sat well with me. I just didnít like, perhaps because it was such a departure from the traditional green blob maps. And it had limited panning. I like the new radar map better and it has an interesting curved look for the globe as you zoom out. The map also incorporates temperature, which is interesting to see vs just the typical temps in major cities. It also now provides more weather data, essentially becoming more than the original precipitation predictor.
Usually I have Dark Sky tucked away in a folder and bring it up when needed. The new update makes it a contender for my main weather app.
The major upgrade is free to existing users and otherwise sells for $3.99.
- Podcast: Brown M&M, Apple event, wearable, tattoos, Dropbox vs iCloud + More
- That FLIR iPhone heat camera can steal PIN numbers
- Apple special event set for September 9
- Dropbox changes to a single 1 TB Pro plan
- August Smart Lock begins shipping
- iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program
- Otterbox announces Alpha Glass screen protector
- OS X Yosemite allows screen sharing over iMessage
- Final Cut Pro suite gets minor updates
- Visual history of Apple designs
- Evernote Webclipper for Safari get big update
- Podcast: Looftlighter, Sapphire Glass, Robin Williams, Google Customer Service, plus more
- Apple mission statement on its culture of diversity
- A look at Apple University
- iPhone 6 prank
- Podcast: iPhone announcement date, traffic school, Apple-Samsung lawsuit, plus more
- iPhone event reportedly set for September 9th
- Apple, Samsung work towards burying the patent hatchet
- OWC adds software RAID option for ThunderBay external storage
- The Verge: Comcastís internal customer retention guide
- Lightning dockStubz connector helps solve problem of docking with a case
- iPassword offering extension for third party iOS 8 apps
- MacBook Pro lineup gets Haswell CPU bump, more memory
- Podcast: Walkie-talkies, iOS 8 betas, CES and much more
- FLIR One Thermal iPhone case goes on pre-order
Browse and search for more articles