Iíve got a thing for weather apps and purchased a lot of them. When Dark Sky was released it had a nifty feature of notifying you when it was about to rain. It was locations specific, of course. It also had a cool precipitation predictor to give you a practical visual on not only the chance of rain for your immediate location, but the intensity. It also works for snow. Often when it storms, Iíll flip this open to if the app calls the medium or heavy percip.
Version 4.0 was released this week and itís a major overhaul. Iíve been having some fun playing around with it. My only complaint is it seems to have lost unique feel in exchange for turning into an iOS 7 app. Thatís not to say it doesnít look nice, it just now looks like a lot of other apps. The radar map on the old version never really sat well with me. I just didnít like, perhaps because it was such a departure from the traditional green blob maps. And it had limited panning. I like the new radar map better and it has an interesting curved look for the globe as you zoom out. The map also incorporates temperature, which is interesting to see vs just the typical temps in major cities. It also now provides more weather data, essentially becoming more than the original precipitation predictor.
Usually I have Dark Sky tucked away in a folder and bring it up when needed. The new update makes it a contender for my main weather app.
The major upgrade is free to existing users and otherwise sells for $3.99.
- MacBook's USB-C Connector, Meerkat, Super Troopers, + More
- TED comes to Apple TV
- Agile Bits on passwords and security theater
- Fitbit to add multiple tracker support
- Report: Major Apple TV update, app store expected
- ABC News gets tour of Apple health and fitness lab
- Haptic touchpad on new MacBook Pro
- Tim Cook on internal collaboration and the customer experience
- Report: Apple TV subscription service expected this fall
- Want to live above an Apple Store?
- New movie: Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
- Confusion over the MacBook's USB-C port
- Podcast: The Apple Watch
- Griffen WatchStand announced for Apple Watch
- Waterfield Designs Time Travel case for the Apple Watch
- The Apple Watch
- New MacBook comes in smaller, lighter than MacBook Air
- HBO Now official announced for Apple devices
- Reserve Strap battery backup for Apple Watch
- Podcast: Switching to iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch Role Playing, Over-Under + More
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
Browse and search for more articles