Appleís online store now features a dedicated section for Apple TV. Before it was hidden away in the iPod, which made no sense. Would this be a sign of things to come? Or simply acknowledging the old taxonomy makes no sense for a reasonably popular product? Maybe both.
Mark Gruman at 9 to 5 Mac adds some fuel to rumors. The next Apple TV may see integrated AirPort Express and an emphasis on gaming. Also, integration with cable TV:
Lastly, Apple has been testing versions of the Apple TV with a built-in TV tuner component so it has the ability to control your existing cable boxes/TV stations much like the since canceled Google TV. Itís likely that a user will be able to connect their existing set-up to this Apple TV and get an Apple-designed user-interface atop their content.
Gaming I think is a given path for Apple TV expansion. Building in the network router is interesting. Reason given would be for simpler configuration and dedicated quality of service. Maybe. Apple would have to expect people to relocate their cable modem to the living room. Or essentially be a wireless bridge because most people wonít have wired Ethernet to their TV. Iím more skeptical of cable TV integration. That would mean a CableCard to decrypt cable programming, which is still a world of hurt and kind of in flux. I canít see Apple depending on cable operators to make this work, nor putting their customers through that pain. I still suspect Apple would be best served doing some kind of HDMI pass-through solution to go between the DVR/Cable/Sat box and Input #1 on the TV.
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
Browse and search for more articles