Appleís online store now features a dedicated section for Apple TV. Before it was hidden away in the iPod, which made no sense. Would this be a sign of things to come? Or simply acknowledging the old taxonomy makes no sense for a reasonably popular product? Maybe both.
Mark Gruman at 9 to 5 Mac adds some fuel to rumors. The next Apple TV may see integrated AirPort Express and an emphasis on gaming. Also, integration with cable TV:
Lastly, Apple has been testing versions of the Apple TV with a built-in TV tuner component so it has the ability to control your existing cable boxes/TV stations much like the since canceled Google TV. Itís likely that a user will be able to connect their existing set-up to this Apple TV and get an Apple-designed user-interface atop their content.
Gaming I think is a given path for Apple TV expansion. Building in the network router is interesting. Reason given would be for simpler configuration and dedicated quality of service. Maybe. Apple would have to expect people to relocate their cable modem to the living room. Or essentially be a wireless bridge because most people wonít have wired Ethernet to their TV. Iím more skeptical of cable TV integration. That would mean a CableCard to decrypt cable programming, which is still a world of hurt and kind of in flux. I canít see Apple depending on cable operators to make this work, nor putting their customers through that pain. I still suspect Apple would be best served doing some kind of HDMI pass-through solution to go between the DVR/Cable/Sat box and Input #1 on the TV.
- Taking stock of Apple's own OS X apps
- Continuity Activation Tool now for USB dongles
- The backstory on iOS 8's wallpaper
- Twelve South announces BookBook for iPhone 6/6+
- Apple's new touching The Song ad
- Video: Post-It Note App for iOS captures your notes
- iDevices looks to jumpstart Homekit adoption
- Initial Apple-IBM enterprise solutions announced
- OWC announces SSD upgrade for new Mac Pros
- Apple TV gets YouTube update
- iTunes features best of 2014
- Link: Gift Guide for Bourbon Drinkers
- iPad 2 ad Change
- Jimmy Iovine interview on selling Beats to Apple
- Elgato ships Thunderbolt 2 Dock
- Quora: Should Apple recall the iPhone 6 Plus?
- Link - iCloud security tips
- Other World Computing Holiday Specials
- Trans Intl Holiday Deals
- Pocket reveals interesting metrics on iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus
- Dropbox now integrated with Microsoft Office
- Having a Password Emergency Kit
- Corning announced Gorilla Glass 4
- Mythbusters explain Gorilla Glass
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
Browse and search for more articles