A lot of the big news was already leaked, but the new lower-cost new iPhone is real. For the first time Apple released two new phones geared towards different price points. To get there, the device is basically an iPhone 5 in a new packaging.
Phone 5c features an all-new design crafted from a single, hard-coated polycarbonate body with a steel reinforced frame for a solid, sturdy feel. The steel frame holds the internal components and also doubles as the iPhone 5cís multiband antenna. The enclosure is one continuous and seamless structure that is finished with a hard coat for a durable and incredibly glossy surface. To complement the all-new iPhone 5c design, Apple created soft, matte, microfiber-lined cases in a very intentional contrast to the glossy, hard coat finish. These sleek silicone cases with unique circular patterns let splashes of color show through, and with five iPhone 5c colors and six cases to choose from, you can mix and match for dozens of fun combinations.
What's a little curious is Apple is still selling the 4S as free on contract. That phone lacks a 4-inch display and no LTE. In the stores, that hardware seem pretty old. It would have been really aggressive if Apple offered an 8 GB 5c model in this slot. Combined with the weird looking case, this new iPhone seems to offer a lot in a fun looking package.
Pricing on contract is $99/16GB, $199/32GB, so $100 off the iPhone 5S. It will go on pre-sale September 13 and go on sale September 20.
- Walmart to launch iPhone 5s, 5c Christmas sales
- Apple TV adds additional content from ABC, others
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas launches for iOS
- Angry Birds Go launches
- Straight Talk launches iPhone 5s, 5c sans contracts
- Wired looks at Square's card reader redesign
- Twitter for iOS gets update for DM photos
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
Browse and search for more articles