iOS 5.0.1 appears to have improved the battery life on the iPhone 4S. Still, however, the battery can still be lacking compared to other iPhones, it appears. Here are some tips IGM found to improve battery on the iPhone 4S, but also other devices.
The obvious stuff involves limiting location and notification activity. If we were to completely lock down the device, it certainly would extend the battery, but at the cost of loss functionality. We've found a few other tips that may help extend the battery without significantly affecting functionality.
Under location services, there's a new option for System Services. While these probably don't affect battery too much, there's little to no downside to disabling these services on the phone from the user standpoint. The time zone setting might be useful if you travel extensively, but otherwise shouldn't affect your daily tasks.
Automatic downloads is a cool new feature, but if you're used to doing things the old way, or manage multiple devices, you may not mind turning this off for better battery life. If you do like this function, then try just disabling the cellular function, which will only function while on a Wi-Fi network.
A new feature allows iCloud data storage. This probably has limited function now, but likely will be a bigger deal as developers start to take advantage of this. Just turning off the cellular option seems to have made a significant difference.
Got any more tips, let us know in the comments!
- Real world use of iBeacon in Apple stores
- 1Password for Mac 4.1 bring a number of improvements
- WSJ blasts ant-trust judge and prosecutor
- BassJump Subwoofer gets update for Mavericks
- Video: Shinola Premium Leather iPhone 5/5s case
- Honda announces further integration with iPhones
- Apple acquires Topsy Labs
- A look at some 4K monitor options
- Rockstar bringing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to iOS
- GLIF iPhone mount get update to be adjustable
- Honda rolling out Siri Eye Free on selection 2014 vehicles
- ScreenFlow 4.5 now available with Mavericks support
- Apple announces Black Friday sales
- iPhone 5s now available unlocked from Apple
- Apple buys 3D sensor company
- Podcast: Power outage, bad phone carriers, PS4, CoD, plus more
- Fifty Three announces Pencil Stylus
- OWC adds USB 3.0 to Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 enclosures
- MOGA Ace Power iOS game controller
- Sprint offers free 12 month smartphone service for students
- Find My Friends app get iOS 7 treatment
- PBS, Yahoo Screen comes to Apple TV
- Podcast: Episode 100, iPad mini, iPhone case is crappy or not? Everpix, plus more
- My iPhone Home Page AppsVideo:
- Video: Apple Leather iPhone 5/5S Case (Product RED)
Browse and search for more articles