iOS 5.0.1 appears to have improved the battery life on the iPhone 4S. Still, however, the battery can still be lacking compared to other iPhones, it appears. Here are some tips IGM found to improve battery on the iPhone 4S, but also other devices.
The obvious stuff involves limiting location and notification activity. If we were to completely lock down the device, it certainly would extend the battery, but at the cost of loss functionality. We've found a few other tips that may help extend the battery without significantly affecting functionality.
Under location services, there's a new option for System Services. While these probably don't affect battery too much, there's little to no downside to disabling these services on the phone from the user standpoint. The time zone setting might be useful if you travel extensively, but otherwise shouldn't affect your daily tasks.
Automatic downloads is a cool new feature, but if you're used to doing things the old way, or manage multiple devices, you may not mind turning this off for better battery life. If you do like this function, then try just disabling the cellular function, which will only function while on a Wi-Fi network.
A new feature allows iCloud data storage. This probably has limited function now, but likely will be a bigger deal as developers start to take advantage of this. Just turning off the cellular option seems to have made a significant difference.
Got any more tips, let us know in the comments!
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
- Every Day Carry Gear/Gadgets (Video)
- Denon announces new line of AVRs with AirPlay, iOS remote
- T-Mobile TV now available for iOS
- Google Glass on Weekend Update
- Podcast: Lots of iOS 7 rumors, Google Now, CoD Ghosts + More
- Apple expands SSD options for iMacs
- Blockbuster releases On-Demand app
- Apple counts down to 50 billion app downloads
- iOS 6.1.4 brings speakerphone fix for iPhone 5
Browse and search for more articles