The current Mac Pro desktops are getting a little long in the tooth. Also, any power hungry geeks already have had March ‘09 circled on their calendars, as Q1-9 has long been expected release for the Nehalem Core i7 Xeon release. Based on what’s available, that’s the brains most likely to go into the next revision of Mac Pro. MacRumors notes now a specific date has been given, March 29th, in typical PR fashion of waiting to the last days of the given window.
When these processors will be made available in volume is yet to be seen. Apple has previously been among first dibs on Intel gear, such as the dual 4-core Octo powerhouse a couple years ago. The safe money I’d think would bee to say anytime between March and the Snow Leopard release.
Initial feedback on these chips is an incremental increase in general computing, but big time gains for large data processing such as video rendering/compression. The phrase “ridiculously fast” has been attached to this release. Coupled with Snow Leopard multi-core refinements, audio/video professionals in particular should have something to get excited about.
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
Browse and search for more articles