Quoting the Chinese-language Economic Daily News (Sorry, no website, not even in Chinese), DigiTimes reports that Apple plans to launch an updated version of the iMac in January. Thereupon, the mothership's OEM partner for its prosumer desktop, Quanta, will begin making deliveries in January at an initial rate of 800,000 units per month for the first quarter.
Assuming Apple maintains that build rate, which isn't likely, they will produce 9.6-million iMacs next year. Thereupon, the mothership is obviously planning for significant pent up demand over the first few months of the new iMac's availability, which is expected to be built around nVidia's widely praised MCP79 chipset.
That's likely a prudent strategy given the hit Mac desktop sales took in October and November after rumors of a product refresh sidelined buyers.
[Click through to continue]
Yesterday, the lads at Macenstrein published the above image, calling it the new Mac mini. Well, aside from that being a face only the mother(ship) could love are there any reasons to discount or believe that that is indeed Apple's revised entry-level headless desktop?
It kind of fits earlier rumors of a Mac nano...
What's your take?
Choose from over 4.5 Million songs!
- Walk through video on upgrading Mac Pro CPU
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
Browse and search for more articles